Home

Working on my Google Reader Replacement

Am spending some neat time working on my Google Reader replacement this weekend. What I’m basically doing is making a web app that lives on my phone (currently the Nokia N9) that is accessible to other devices only when they are on the same network and have the password. I’m using a piece of software called Personal Web Server to do that. And while I work the bugs out, I’m making the fixes using my tablet as its connected to Dropbox. This has been a very good project for me. I just wish that Nokia would fix the authentication issue with Dropbox on the N9. Its kind of hard to take mobile forward when built-in features stop working. Nevertheless, I’m excited for my Google Reader replacement, and think that I’ll learn a lot from this experience of making it.

Previously submitted to Palm Addict

Some additional comments:

  • One of the lessons that I’m having fun with (sarcasm) is the use of HTML5 AppCache with webpage-based apps
  • There’s something really cool about hosting your own reader. But, the part about having that content available is something else that I’ll need to work on. Perhaps those CodeAcademy lessons need to be restarted
  • I’ve taken the link to the reader off my landing page, replacing it with a compiled RSS feed. No, not as pretty, but in that respect, its still all that I read, and you can read it in the way that you choose
  • I’ve got a few more ideas that I want to try and implement (like removing links to those feed items that I’ve read, but not syncing that state to other devices) and so I’ll just work through that and go from there

Its a fun little project. And the lessons will be spread into some other items that I’ve got coming soon. Not exactly what I was expecting to happen when I moved on past Google Reader, but I’m enjoying this aspect of the adventure.

Advertisements

One thought on “Updates on My Google Reader Replacement

  1. Pingback: Ending 2 Experiments, Branching Another | blog.arjw

Comments are closed.